Elizabeth / 11th February 2016
With talks of an Ocado takeover, and Amazon Pantry having already planted its roots in the UK, the British retail grocery market is braced for the imminent arrival of e-commerce giant Amazon, with its fresh grocery arm Amazon Fresh.
- Amazon’s annual revenue for 2015 was £107bn, up a huge 20% up on 2014
- They’re targeting 2% of the UK’s £149bn grocery market
- Whilst the Big Four supermarkets are struggling with growth, Aldi and Lidl are enjoying 13.3% and 18.5% growth respectively
- Amazon have invested £11.5bn in Europe and increased their workforce to over 40,000
- The average cost of delivering groceries (£20) currently far outweighs what customers pay (£3)
With successful ventures into publishing and video streaming behind them, they’re certainly betting on this one. Could innovations like PrimeAir (their drone delivery service) and Amazon Dash (an automatic ordering device) set them apart from the rest?